Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Next time....

Today I attended the funeral of a great lady who "lost" a battle with cancer.  She is a great lady- easy to talk to, listens with her heart, and so loving.  I did not know her long or well, but I felt so much at easy around her.  She is one of those women I wish I had been able to know better and longer.

As much as this woman does deserve to have a blog page as her tribute, that is not what this blog post is meant to be.  Instead, the occasion made me want to share a little about my beliefs of eternity.

As a Christian, I believe that because of Jesus Christ the bonds of death have been broken.  It is part of God's eternal plan that we leave our Heavenly home for a time, come to earth and have mortal experiences, and die.  But that death is not the end.  At some future point, the bodies that have been laid in the graves will rise again.  They will be reunited with our eternal spirit and we will be whole again.  Only this time, our bodies will be Eternal. 

It is that belief that has comforted me at the deaths of loved ones.  That does not mean that I am not sad or troubled when those I love die.  Some deaths, like those of aged grandparents, are semi expected and though we grieve, we are almost prepared for them.  Others are sudden, and often much harder to accept. Regardless of the circumstance preceding the death, when it  happens, we know that we will miss that person dearly.  We grieve for OUR future without them.  We think of the events in our lives that we won't see them at.  And there is great sorrow in those moments.

In all likelihood, we will miss that person off and on for the rest of our mortal existence. But, there is an eternity where we will see them again.  So... I'll be looking forward to the next time with the dear Sister who passed away today, and all my other loved ones who have gone and will go before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment