Monday, August 13, 2012

If you're going to apologize....

I recently read an article in a local (county) paper written by the publisher of the paper attempting to apologize for the many errors in reporting the paper has had recently.  The apology is 1 paragraph long (about 1 1/2 inches of 1 column).  The whole article is about 2/3rds of  the page and is 4 columns wide.  The rest of the article is a list of various excuses of why there have been so many errors.  Let me paraphrase a few for you:
  • Our assumptions were wrong
  • I can't possibly know everything my employees are writing
  • Sometimes the information changes after we get the story
  • Goverment/law officials won't co-operate with us
  • People give us wrong information--or refuse to give us any information at all.
 My sympathies to the publisher that she has had so many errors in the paper, but I don't really feel like that article was an apology.  I felt like it was a "blame shifter."  You know one of those "apologies" that basically come out as "yeah, I screwed up, BUT IT WASN'T MY FAULT!" (I've seen lots of cartoons on Facebook recently mocking President Obama for his many similar statements...but I won't get into that)

The article got me thinking how many times I do the very same thing. And about how hollow those apologies feel when you receive them. I realize that some things don't go as planned, but people don't want your excuses. If you can't deliver what you promised, don't blame circumstances or other people.  If you are going to apologize,accept responsibility and realize they will likely be upset. But don't slough it off as if there were nothing you could do about it.  It might also be helpful to suggest ways you can help rectify the situation.

Don't get me wrong, I realize there are things that are beyond an individuals control, but an apology sounds hollow if that is stated in it. Let me give you a "do" and "don't" example.

Do: I'm sorry, we won't be able to deliver the couch you purchased last week on time.  We hope this won't inconvenience you too much. We aren't sure exactly when the couch will be available for delivery, but we will call you as soon as it arrives.
Don't: I'm sorry, we won't be able to deliver the couch you ordered last week on time.  Our supplier didn't ship it until several days after we placed the order and the shipping company re-routed it through California.  Now we are a week behind on our deliveries.  We aren't sure exactly when the couch will be available for delivery, but we will call you as soon as it arrives.

Please notice that the "don't" example includes almost the entire "do" example---but it also gives excuses that aren't included in the first example.  If people ask you why, I suppose it is appropriate to offer some explanation (excuse). But if they don't ask, it is 100% an excuse (not an explanation) when it leaves  your mouth.

So, in the future, I'm going to work on offering apologies, not excuses. Feel free to join me in my efforts.






No comments:

Post a Comment